Skip to main content
Question
Anonymous
Asked a question 2 months ago

Our current leave policy says staff are to provide evidence of sick leave from one day off. Can this also apply to casual staff?

Where am I?

In Employsure Small Business Circle you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

From Ed: Hi, Tony. Risky one, applying that to casual staff, because unless they're falling within this Rossato-type decision, they don't get sick leave. So there's no obligation for them. They can say to you, "I just don't wanna turn up," not that "I can't turn up because I'm not well." The true casual doesn't have to turn up in that way as long as they give you a reasonable notice of it. And so if you turn around and say to someone, "Well, you've gotta justify why you didn't turn up." That starts to sound to me like you might be having a permanent casual situation that you need to get examined to make sure you don't have risks and liabilities associated to that.

This question was asked and answered during a Facebook live stream. If you'd like to get your question answered live on air by Ed, check out our live streams every Friday here15.

Related Questions